- In 2017, 45% of the drivers killed in fatal crashes who were tested for drugs, tested positive.
- According to NHTSA, 885 people lost their lives in traffic crashes involving a drunk driver during the month of December, 2017.
- Despite the fact it’s illegal to drive when impaired by alcohol, in 2017, one person was killed every 48 minutes by a drunk driver on our nation’s roads.
- On average, an OWI could set you back $10,000 in attorney’s fees, fines, court costs, lost time at work, higher insurance rates, car towing and more.
- The financial impact from impaired-driving crashes is devastating. Based on 2010 numbers (the most recent year for which cost data is available), impaired-driving crashes cost the United States $44 billion annually.
- From December 13, 2018 to January 1, 2019, Iowa law enforcement officers arrested 506 impaired drivers. Also during this time frame in Iowa, there were 17 fatal crashes killing 18 people. Four of these seventeen fatal crashes involved an impaired driver.
Celebrate with a Plan:
Always remember to plan ahead if you will be celebrating with an impairing substance. If you plan to indulge, plan for a sober driver to take you home. Call a taxi, friend or Uber! Is it your turn to be the designated driver? Take the role seriously and do not partake in alcohol or any other drugs. You are saving lives!
Cheers to not wrecking the holidays and making yours merry and bright!
Media contact: Genie Clemens, GTSB sTEP Program Administrator, (515) 725-6121.